May 31, 2012

Week 2 in Roma!


This week was another incredible experience here in Roma. As our second week of formal classes approaches an end, I feel as though I have learned and experienced more than I ever have in a classroom. Although my feet are still getting used to the walking tours, I enjoy every minute of them; I’m living my dream by seeing in real life what I’ve only seen in textbooks. Every time I wander the city, even for 5 minutes, I fall more and more in love with Rome and its culture. Last weekend we had the opportunity to escape the bad weather and head to Nettuno, where there was a beach. It was one of the most beautiful and fun experiences I’ve ever had. The water was clear, warm, and much more salty than I was used to, which was great. We only had a couple of hours before our train left, but we crammed as much beach fun in as we could. I felt like a kid-it was so much fun.
The next day we got to go to the Pantheon for their Pentecost service. Not only did I get to go to a church service at the Pantheon, but I got to take communion there, which was an incredible experience on its own. At the end of the service, thousands of rose petals gracefully fell from the oculus…one of the most breathtaking views I’ve ever seen. It’s impossible to put it into words, but it was an experience I’ll surely never forget. 
I’m definitely starting to get used to living here and am doing my absolute best to take everything in. I feel comfortable walking around the city and I always look forward to what I’ll learn on a daily basis. Tomorrow we’re headed to the Amalfi Coast for our first field trip, one that I’ve been looking forward to since I found out I was accepted into the program. I can’t wait to travel through Italy for the first time and see what else it has to offer. Until next week, arrivederci!  


No comments: