Walking around any unfamiliar city must be an interesting experience. Personally, I dont spend much time in strange cities by myself so I dont have much to compare to. Earlier this week, Tuesday I believe (the days are running together now and I have a hard time believing that I have been here for a week already, thats totally nuts!) we were sent off to experience the city without the distraction of company. I cant pinpoint on a map where we began (beside one of the many piazzas) and I cant pinpoint the streets that I walked before I pulled out a map. It was raining, actually pouring, in waves throughout the day but I managed to find one the piazzas that I have been assigned during a dry gap. Being on my own really was a whole new way to look at the city, with so much more awareness of everything happening around me. It is a much more intersting interaction when you leave your tourist cap at home.
Thursday night we had our first group dinner. It was also the first meal that I have had here that didnt consist of pizza or pasta. It was a three course meal beginning with Italian appetizers that I cant name, risotto with shellfish, and ending with chocolate dessert, espresso and a “Hip-Hippy Horay” lead by Matt’s Italian friend. A group of us decided to walk off the meal with a trip to the Trevi Fountain. We got a little distracted by the festival/party at the Campidoglio. The facades of the buildings were completely lit up with red and purple lights. The piazza was full of people all doing the tango to a live band. We found out later that the festivities were put on by the Argentinean population of Rome. The atmosphere was amazing! Kelton and I attemped with join the party and sucessfully completed one set of steps before we moved on. Our next stop was just down the road to see the Forum lit up at night. Another amazing, if slightly calmer, scene. Eventually our trip ended at the Trevi Fountain but compared to the first two destinations, the packs of tourists throwing in coins and taking pictures made for a less epic experience. All in all I can definetly say that I am getting good use of my camera.
May 25, 2012
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment