May 24, 2012

Week One


Brenda looking through the keyhole on the Aventine Hill 
I cannot believe that the first week is almost at an end for us here in Rome! It seems like just yesterday Matt was picking me up at the Trastevere train station... This week has been packed full of adventures, including: many gelato trips (my favorite one was a trip for gelato during a thunderstorm), an "orientation" tour where Matt helps us get a feel for the city, a nighttime hike up the Janiculum Hill (super beautiful and such a romantic spot!), being sent out on our own to find our two piazzas, and or course our classes in sketching, history, and studio. We have almost been here a week and I cannot believe how much there is to see and do here - and the city is completely different during the day than at night. I have never seen such a drastic transformation in a place before in such a short amount of time, and both are equally beautiful and interesting. Rome is truly a beautiful place and I so thankful for the chance to be here (thanks Grandma!).

When thinking back over the week, I think that by far the most interesting thing that I have seen was St. Peter's Dome through a keyhole ontop of the Aventine Hill. It was a little bit of a walk to get there, but it was totally worth it! If you have an opportunity to come here, you definately should, it is well worth your time for this unusual and unique view of the dome as well as a beautiful panorama of the city.

As for my favorite building that I have visited so far, it would have to be the Pantheon (I know it is a little cliche, but it is my favorite) due to how it managed to take my breath away when I got my first view of inside the Pantheon - the pictures you see cannot even begin to do it justice. I literally was speachless when we walked inside; you are immediately filled with a feeling of such awe at what is clearly such a sacred and important space. And knowing all i know about structres, it was even more amazing that this was built such a long time ago using the "primitive" technology and materials that were availible at the time - and it is still standing strong today! It just blows my mind! It is just such an amazing space that it was built so long ago and to this day is still so well known, I want to aspire to create spaces and buildings in my own designs that can withstand the tests of time.

One of the many beautiful nighttime views we encountered on our way to get some dinner the first night I was here

No comments: