It's great to be here! I can hardly believe it's already been a week. It has definitely been information overload in a very short period of time. Each day has been at least an 8 hour adventure and by the time I'm home both body and mind are exhausted. I have learned quite a bit in this very short period. First, Navigating the city has become a relatively easy task after just aimlessly wondering for about two days without a map. Sure I get lost here and there but am able to reference myself based off of architecture, piazzas, landmarks, etc. The streets here are definitely not the Roman ideals we think they would. Below was a diagram I had created for my new
blog showing the conceptual comparison between American streets and Roman military camps with how they lived in their city:
 |
| City Grid Pattern |
 |
| Rome's Pattern |
Granted there are some areas on the outskirts that are in a more regulated or modern pattern but the heart of the city is a definite mixed compilation.
Finally, never take anything at face value. Palimpsest is the definition of Rome. It seems every building has some rich history behind it. It has been either heavily modified, destroyed, destroyed and rebuilt, moved, added on to, scraped away, or changed in any way you can imagine. That is what makes this city rich with historic wonder and architectural intrigue. Can't wait to continue exploring!
No comments:
Post a Comment