June 09, 2014
Ostia Antica
On Friday June 6th, we went to Ostia, Antica (an Ancient roman port city). This was an interesting tour because it doesn't have the palimpsest that we have been seeing so much of in Rome. This may be because the city was abandoned during the fall of the Roman Empire. I was also intrigued by the way the columns, frescos, and structures told a story of the culture and what life may have been like. Walking through the ancient streets and into shops and bars, around the baths with preserved mosaics and into the heating systems, up to the theater(that's still used today), and through the overgrowth of vines(masking and destroying parts of the city) I thought was a fun ancient experience. I was also incredibly amazed and distraught by the fact that the sea has moved so far from Ostia. We had to take a 15 minute train ride from Ostia to get to the beach. That's just mind boggling.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment