"Roma is the centre to which all gravitates. One finds no rest elsewhere than here. There may be other cities that please us for a while, but Rome alone completely satisfies. It becomes to all a second native land by predilection, and not by accident of birth alone."
-Henry Wadsworth Longfellow
I read this quote by Longfellow prior to arriving in Rome, and to be honest I remember being quite skeptical of it. However, after being in Rome for exactly two weeks, I understand what He is saying. Rome has been nothing but a place of adventure, peace, comfort, and energy ever since I have arrived. I have seen things that still are quite hard to comprehend, and I have to pinch myself each day to make sure that this is all real. The piazza above is one of my piazza studies, Piazza Capranica, and is the first place that I had an Italian meal upon my arrival. It still one of my most favorite piazzas after seeing so many others throughout the city. Just right around the corner is the Pantheon, which took my breath away upon first seeing it. This is a usual reaction to many of the buildings and places that we have seen these past two weeks. My other favorite places have been the Campidoglio Museum where they were having a special Michelangelo exhibit, the tour with our awesome guide, Scott, to the church of San Clemente, and Pentecost mass at the Pantheon. Each day could have a blog post of its own, because each day has had something incredible to offer. I will post some of my favorite pictures from some of these places to speak louder than any words I could give to explain them. I am having to be content with the idea that I will never be able to have enough time in this beautiful city and see everything that it has to offer. As for now, I will soak up as much as I am able, and try to return in the future to re-fill my cup! Ti amo Roma!!
xo, Meghan




No comments:
Post a Comment