June 11, 2014

This morning the group meet at Piazza San Ignazio for a sketching lesson on circular forms. The buildings opposite from the church façade curve to form ellipses in the negative space that is the piazza making for a great challenge in perspective. Matt gave thorough instruction on envisioning the implied ellipses as they flatten out when getting closer to the ground. We started with the smaller side spaces and then moved to tackle the whole piazza.
After a short coffee break we reconviended in the courtyard of Sant Ivo. Here I really enjoyed tackling the arches and the concave courtyard. I found that breaking diwn the perspective really helped to keep the subject from becoming overwhelming and allowed me to start to train my eyes to see the basic shapes. I am very happy with how my perspective turned out, even with a little help from Matt on my tower placement.

No comments: