skip to main | skip to sidebar

Idaho - Roma

. . . . News, images, and observations from the Rome/Italy Program . . . . University of Idaho Department of Architecture & Interior Design

June 26, 2014

The Galleria Borghese was not what I expected despite the research I did the night before. Nothing can truely prepare you for the sights in this Villa turned National Museum. Not to say that my research was useless, it was  actually what gave me a connection with the peices I was viewing. Knowing a bit about them before hand gave me a better understanding of artists intent and stylistic choices.  

           I personaly fell in love with Bernini's sculptures that are on the first floor and found myself returning to his David. As I was drawing a few studies of Davids hands, tensed up to let the rock fly from his sling, I wondered why they were positioned so close to the veiwers own eye level. I think that Bernini choose to do this so the veiwer would have an uncomfortable close look at what was intended for Goliaths face, from your eye level to his. 


Posted by Unknown at 3:14 AM

No comments:

Post a Comment

Newer Post Older Post Home
Subscribe to: Post Comments (Atom)
  • UI Dept. of Architecture & ID
  • UI International Programs Office

Contributors

  • Chase Muchow
  • Kiana Fannin
  • Matthew Brehm
  • Sarah Hepler
  • Unknown
  • Unknown
  • Unknown
  • Unknown
  • Unknown
  • Unknown
  • Unknown
  • Unknown
  • Unknown
  • Unknown
  • alexbow

Blog Archive

  • ►  2015 (18)
    • ►  August (2)
    • ►  July (6)
    • ►  June (10)
  • ▼  2014 (50)
    • ►  August (2)
    • ►  July (25)
    • ▼  June (21)
      • To the Coast!
      • The Galleria Borghese was not what I expected desp...
      • Post Week Two
      • This Place Doesn't Get Old... Italy That Is..
      • Baroque
      • Herculaneum (Ercolano)
      • Working
      • Back to Reality!
      • Paestum
      • Exploring new passions
      • Catching up...
      • This morning the group meet at Piazza San Ignazio ...
      • Watercoloring has been amazing.  My plan is to t...
      • Ostia Antica
      • Bella Milano per il giorno
      • Roma- The Eternal City
      • Second is the Best! Ciao! This week has been phe...
      • Studio first leg done. Our first couple of wee...
      • What I've Learned So Far...
      • Roma - Prima settimana
      • Roma!
    • ►  May (2)
  • ►  2013 (83)
    • ►  July (26)
    • ►  June (53)
    • ►  May (4)
  • ►  2012 (99)
    • ►  July (28)
    • ►  June (51)
    • ►  May (20)
  • ►  2011 (59)
    • ►  July (9)
    • ►  June (37)
    • ►  May (13)
  • ►  2010 (65)
    • ►  July (21)
    • ►  June (31)
    • ►  May (13)
  • ►  2009 (67)
    • ►  July (13)
    • ►  June (37)
    • ►  May (17)
  • ►  2008 (35)
    • ►  July (7)
    • ►  June (20)
    • ►  May (6)
    • ►  March (1)
    • ►  January (1)
  • ►  2007 (46)
    • ►  August (1)
    • ►  July (8)
    • ►  June (20)
    • ►  May (16)
    • ►  April (1)
  • ►  2006 (1)
    • ►  September (1)

Followers