It seems so crazy because being here feels so normal now. Normal in the sense that I am now completely used to being amazed by my surroundings all of the time, and rightfully so! This city is so amazing in ways I couldn't have understood without being here. There are so many facets to Rome, some better than others, but each one is full with life and history.
Honestly that is my favorite part of this so far. The history of it all. The tours we have taken with Scott and Tom are so great. The story and complexity of the buildings and the city are so captivating an way that is so foreign to me. It's not that places don't have a history in Idaho it's that their history isn't centuries old and layered over each other. Since being here and learning more about the history of churches palimpsest is really the only way to convey Rome. There is a reason Matt would focus so much on it in the prep seminar. Buildings on top of buildings, demolition some and reusing parts of the foundation over and over again. Until you end up with a church on top of a charity house on top of a market on top of a temple.
This complexity is also informing the studio project. Thinking of space purely without individual buildings has been an interesting challenge. It's so different to think of only the context and the space between. It reminds me a lot of Urban Theory with Wendy and I can just hear her lectures about success public spaces as I try and make sense of the project.
It's been a packed three weeks and the idea that there are only five left is freighting. On the bright side we leave for Atrani tomorrow and I am so ready to escape the emerging heat of Rome!
Buona notte,
Adriana


No comments:
Post a Comment