June 25, 2014
Baroque
Yesterday we participated in a Baroque tour with Jeffery Blanchard as our guide. He is incredibly knowledgeable about art and history, and his soft voice makes it so easy to listen to. We began in Piazza Quirinale, where we uncovered the history of the Palazzo del Quirinale, and ventured down Via del Quirinale. On our way to a few churches, we jumped into Gian Lorenzo Bernini's life. Beginning with the amazing Goat Amalthea with infant Jupiter at age 11-15? (which I saw today at the Galleria Borghese), and then through his extroverted life in sculpture and architecture. While examining both Bernini and Boromini's life, you wanted to compare and try to relate in some way. Although they were both leaders in Baroque architecture, you still wanted to find some type of connection with their style and personality. The way they both showed and expressed geometry, light, and reasoning through architecture is incredibly fascinating to me, and I'm glad I'm here to experience it. We finished up the tour at Palazzo Barberini(above in sketch) where both Bernini and Boromini worked together and Audrey and I visited the gallery.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment