Last weekend Katrina and I went to Florence and Pisa. Florence as a whole was a bit of a disappointment. Everything closed early, cost money, and had long lines. Our hostel was cool though. To put it in the words of the own/keeper, “It’s a small place, but I have a big heart.” It was a very true statement. The trip became worth it once we were in Pisa. Despite the common name of “The Leaning Tower of Pisa” I wasn’t ready for it… It’s LEANING! Who would have guessed it! At first sight of it I was wowed. We toured the whole area of Duomo and museums, but the best part was climbing the tower itself. A little history of the tower first so you understand better why it was so intense. The tower was started in 1173. The first 3 floors were built by 1178. At this point construction was halted due to war and conflict. By the time they started building the next 3 floors in 1272, the tower was already at a significant angle. So to counteract this they built the next 3 floors at an opposite angle, produce a slight curve to the tower. The 7th and last floor, the bell tower, was completed in 1319.
With that being said, the tower has since continued to lean further, meaning all through the tower, there isn’t a single step that’s level, and they’re all at different angles. As you walk around the tower each step you take leans you a different direction. Your senses and equilibrium are confused as you spiral upward. I never dreamed of actually being allowed to climb the Leaning Tower of Pisa. This was an experience I wouldn’t trade for anything.
The first picture shows me about to enter. Notice the angle of the door…

The second image is of the marble steps in the tower. The unevenness has been caused by the amazing number of people throughout history who made the same climb I did.
No comments:
Post a Comment