
A few of us took a trip up to Venice last weekend. Though excited to see Venice, I was even more excited to take a trip to see the Brion Tomb, designed by Carlo Scarpa. The tomb is located in a small village about two hours outside of Venice, although it took me three hours to get there, and 4 hours to get back, (buses don't run very often out in the country). I'd studied it briefly during Phil Mead's studio last year, and I couldn't pass up the opportunity to see it in person.
It blew me away. The tomb is quite small, but there is an incredible amount of depth in the architecture. Every move was well thought out; nothing was haphazard in its placement or in its meaning. And there were so many subtleties...the reflections of the water, the interaction between structure and nature, the relationship between visitor and architecture, in the joy of discovery, and the humility of death.

I walked into the place with camera blazing, but after a minute or two I stopped myself, walked out, and walked back in with a little more respect. I explored the tomb from corner to corner before pulling out my camera again. I took 150 photos, and I regret that I didn't take more. Good architecture is a photographer's paradise.
I keep forgetting to post a link to my flickr, you can check out more of the photos that I've been taking here.
No comments:
Post a Comment