May 30, 2010

Vandals in the Eternal City


The first 7 days in Rome have seemed to rush by me so fast! And can I just start out by saying that I am so thankful for the opportunity to see and experience this city in the context of 2 months, rather than 2 days. A group from the business program at the U of I stopped in for a visit and reception that our group hosted last night, and the more we talked to people, it was amazing to me at what they were trying to cram into their 2 days, in way it seemed that they were just looking to be able to say that they have seen all of these monumental, world renown places, but it made me think, what do you really see when you stand in front of a place for less than 2 minutes? That snapshot in your mind becomes a blur, even after a week. In a way, talking to the business group really put into perspective why I came to the eternal city; not merely to just see Rome, but understand it, to know it, experience it in all its glory and all its faults. As we all have heard, Rome wasn't built in a day, and I know that I will only be scratching the surface of this city and the endless learning opportunities that it presents. I can already say with confidence of only being here for 7 days at this point that if I had the opportunity to spend a year here like Matt did in his college days, I'm sure it would totally change the perspective I have on life, architecture, culture, etc. But, already those perspectives are beginning to change. In Rome, you have to be bold, and life will be rushing at you in this crazy chaotic way that isn't possible in a place like Idaho, but at the same time, Rome has the beautiful moments where you are walking down the craziest, loudest street you could of imagined, and turn a corner, and the streets are serene and even peaceful.

Throughout the next 7 weeks, I hope to document my experiences, tours, learnings and daily life and routine, and will be posting some of that documentation on here. I have begun to do that with our first tour, but haven't finished it yet.

-Chow
Brittney



1 comment:

V said...

Girl! I loved that! I ditto your thoughts on this! miss you!! have fun!! :)