May 26, 2010

Roma!



As of today I have been in Rome for 5 whole days but it seems like such a blur. It seems that it was just yesterday that I was getting off the plane at Fiumucino and trying to find my way to Trastevere. I was able to meet up with Anne at Piazza Santa Maria in Trastevere. That was where another adventure started. I needed to find a place and a hotel to stay at for the night. The only problem was that it was 9 pm and nowhere seemed to be open that late. I was however able to eventually find a place in a hotel off of Piazza Piscinula which actually turned out to be a good experience. It was 80 euros for the night which sadly is cheap for the area. After that first day/ night things were able to settle down though. Brad and I made a trip to the Tempietto, St. Peters, the Pantheon and then accidentally to the Capitoline hill. Overall a very lost trip the whole time but a very worthwhile one in the long run. (The photo above is from St. Peters) After this trip the summer seemed to officially start for me and a complete settle was here.
Other than the city things have been very interesting to me. For instance what I would call Roman fast food places are very good pizza places spread evenly through the city where you point out a pizza then they cut it out and you pay by weight. Very good in my opinion. I have already figured that I will be eating there all the time.


Rome seems to be where you can find gigantic and stunning cathedrals and the reverse right across the way a road that is 3m wide. Or less sometimes. Its always fun seeing a Hummer drive down a road with 3 inches on either side of it. On the subject of cars and pedestrians- cars don't stop for people and I often see cars honking at people. I haven't seen anyone get hit but it seems amazing that it doesn't happen all the time.
My limited experience has already shown me that I will never learn everything or even part of that about Rome but it won't stop me from trying to learn as much as I can.

No comments: