June 02, 2007

Two Weeks In...

After being in Rome for officially two weeks, I can't imagine being anywhere else. We have settled into our routine of sketching and touring in the mornings and studio in the afternoon. I don't know that I have been down the same street twice (except for the walk from the apartment to studio). Every turn of a corner brings a different perspective of Rome as well as a new restaurant to try.

A few of us have now fully experienced all forms of transportation in the city, train, taxi, metro and bus. Some experiences more enjoyable than others (Caroline and I learned the hard way which direction the metro will take you). So far I prefer walking, it is somewhat safer (if you aren't trying to cross a street) and you get to experience so much more of the city.

The food here is amazing from what I have experienced. There are only four things you can order (well not literally): pasta (with different sauces), pizza (by the kg or a whole one), sandwiches (you never know what you are ordering on these), and gelato (so far I think I have tried about 15 different flavors and there are tons more).

Getting accustom to day to day activities that we usually to take for granted in the states has been a bit challenging. Having to buy groceries everyday doesn't always fit into our schedules, I guess that is why we eat out so much. Finding the laundromat was even more of a challenge, then trying to figure out how to use them when an older Italian woman is yelling at you (come to find out it was her way of trying to help us figure it out) made it even harder. One thing I have picked up quickly from the Italian way is partaking in afternoon siestas. I think this is the greatest cultural tradition yet. Going home at 2 in the afternoon to take a nap should be practiced in all cultures, it is such a refresher and a retreat during the hottest part of the day. Unfortunately, all stores close at this time so if you wanted to go explore or shopping there isn't much open.

Overall, the first two weeks have been amazing. I can't wait for the next six!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

It was really good to talk to you the otherday. Keep posting pictures, I'm really enjoying it. We will miss you this weekend. Have fun!!!

Michelle said...

Kirsten,
I love reading what you are experiencing, and your pics are fun to look at. Thinking of you!