June 01, 2007

Chapter 2


Good news first. I think sketching is starting to come around. I got through my first sketchbook and could really seem improvement. This, however, is a double edge sword because when you started where I was, the only place to go is up. And the sketches still aren’t that good (see figure 1). But still, im pretty happy. I am not going to prove the difference by submitting a figure 2, just take my word on it. We had a really cool tour of the Palatine yesterday. The guide was really good and to add he was wearing a red bosox cap. So you know he’s a winner. We got another moment similar to the John the Baptist one last week when we saw the actual site where Romulus set up shop in the founding of Rome. Cool stuff. Oh, we went to an opening party for the new BMW 1 series. Have no idea how we got in still, but it was cool. On a rooftop terrace with a DJ who played strictly the Billboard top 40. The bad news on the situation was when we tried to buy a drink, we found out the price was 15 euros. Needless to say, no beverages for us the rest of the night. But it was still a slamming time. Ha, slamming. I’m a dork. So along the same lines as the drink pricing I have another story.

READERS NOTE
I am loosely using the word story here. This is going to be more of a vent. Lucky for all 3 of the readers out there I did not get to a computer last night. This is a toned down, more mellow version. Anyways, continue if you dare.

Ok, so last night we went to eat dinner at a nice place just up the road from our apartment. Brett’s idea. The guy who runs it seems to be really nice. Always says hi and stuff. It’s primarily a seafood place. Everybody working in the place had to be older than 60. Everybody. It seemed to me like a little place where if you walked through the kitchen you would come upon a little room in the back where paulie, jimmy, and two finger Tony would be playing poker and smoking cigars. I end up ordering what I believe is cod. The reason for this was I was at a seafood place and the menu said 6.50 (100 grams). The waiter brings out the fish before hand and shows it to me, which I thought was cool. Then brings it back out once the entire fish is cooked and fillets it with a fork and spoon, which was also cool. Then he takes the scraps (head, bones, tail, fins) and leaves us to our meal. It was pretty small but really good. Grilled white fish. Dinner was great and we get the check. And this is where I have a problem with the metric system. The fish ends up being 24.50. It actually crossed my mind when I was ordering how much 100 grams is. It was quickly pushed out of my mind by the reasoning that the price by the fish would be at least similar to how much you are going to get. Thinking back on it now, I remember seeing a pocket scale at the flea market that you can carry around. The only reason I thought anybody would ever want one was to weigh drugs. I was mistaken. I guess they are needed for fish and drugs. ive come to the decision I have two choices. One, I can either start buying drugs to get the hang of this, or two, I can buy fish. either way it’s going to dent the wallet. The decision has yet to be made because they wouldn’t let me in the back room to talk to Tony, paulie, and jimmy to get prices. The thing that really got to me was the fact they weighed the fish before getting rid of the scraps I mentioned earlier. So I got charged for a bunch of stuff I didn’t get to eat. Not cool. I also think they may have weighed the fish while it was still alive in a bucket of water. But that’s my story/vent. Im still loving it here. Really really fun. Me and Brett. My bad, Brett and I were just talking about how we have started getting into a routine where we walk the same way every time. So we are going to get out of it ASAP. Ok I'm done taking up space on the blog, im out.

the scanner doesn't work for the MAC, what a coincidence. so i took a picture for figure 1.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Cale,

Keep writing! And sketching too. We appreciate the travelogue.

Maybe you could write yet another guide book to Rome?