June 21, 2007

camping in Italy... just another adventure

What exactly do you say about last weekend… or the past month of my life for that matter? We all came away with really bad sun burns and probably some of the most fun and adventurous experiences of our lives.
As a little break from the city we embarked on an overnight trip south to the coast, near Sperlonga. It was very nice to see nature and the beauty of the Mediterranean coast. We were able to relax from being tourists and students and just be typical Romans, escaping the city to go camping for the weekend. To my surprise, campgrounds actually exist in this country and they are very similar to what I am use to, in a typical summer in north Idaho. So we rented two little beach bungalows, went for an evening swim, woke up very early and cooked gnocchi for breakfast, and spend a perfect day in the sun. Experiences like this make Italy not seem so much a world away from home, but a little more familiar and comfortable.
Just a side note that I have failed thus far on the recap of all our adventures, I could say I’ve just been so busy but I’m just trying to take it all in … This is such a surreal experience- keeping in mind the things we are doing will be the memories I will remember most vividly for the rest of my life. That is an exiting thought but one not to be taken lightly. It’s a challenge to not fall into a routine and continue to explore every inch of this city. I try to be adventurous beyond my usual limits of comfort and stay out too late, spending too much money on “souvenirs” like leather handbags, order every new kind of pasta and vino in an attempt to get the full experience of this place… a place which I believe has changed my life already.

No comments: