June 26, 2015

Drawing Columns in Rome

When you think about Roman architecture, it is very likely that you will think about Columns. Columns in Rome come from a wide range of different eras and architectural styles. Walking around Rome, you will encounter countless different types of columns used in different ways, all expressing unique functions and forms. Pictured below is the Portico del Bernini in the Vatican. 


One of the challenges I've run into in Rome is expressing columns in drawings; therefore, I have been challenging myself to compose drawings that depict them.

This watercolor, although lacking much context, begins to explore the delicate nature of the columns in a small medieval cloister in Trastevere. 


In this watercolor from the Temple of Neptune at the ruins in Paestum I tried to focus on framing a unique angle that showed the grand scale of the columns. 


Finally, a picture of the Temple of Neptune to give some context. 




No comments: