July 01, 2015

Sketching Architecture

Throughout the time we’ve spent in Rome, we have dedicated a fair amount of it practicing and improving our sketching skills. During the sketching sessions we’ve been taught to keep our focus in the overall shapes of the subject we try to capture; especially with architecture. This is something that I have been struggling with because I always try to include small details that are not necessary. I have been learning and practicing to create more abstract drawings and instead of portraying the detailed areas, emphasizing them with value and shadows. After a month spent in Rome and other cities of Italy; and many sketching exercises, I am happy to see improvements and I am looking forward to continue recording my experience of the city through sketches.

The images below are a series of sketches that I did from our trip to Atrani; sketching was interesting in this small town because of the overlapping and different perspective angles of the buildings. These were good exercises to practice value and shadows to give the drawings a sense of depth. Definitely a challenging but yet fun scene to sketch. 




 
So far everything has been great, now to continue experiencing the city of Roma, Ciao. 

No comments: