June 23, 2015

Urban Fabric Across Italy

Obligatory: I absolutely cannot believe that it has been a month in Rome already! It feels simultaneously too long and too short of a description of the time we have spent here.



Throughout our time in Rome, urban scale has been something of an interest for me. Within the fabric of Rome, the scale changes from enclosed and tight to looser (and more Fascist). This is something that we are all trying to wrap our heads around in regards to our studio project. Reading the urban fabric of Rome is just so much different than anything we are used to in the United States.

Outside of the city of Rome, I have been getting to know a little bit about the fabric of Italy. We have traveled to the Amalfi Coast, which is south of Rome, as a class fieldtrip over a long weekend. Just this last weekend, I traveled north to a small town called Cagli. Understanding the scale between these small cities, in comparison to Rome, is another level for me.


Atrani, Italy





Cagli, Italy




We have been learning in our history course and our walking tours how Rome was built up to become the city that it is today. I believe that these lessons have helped me learn to interpret the way that these smaller cities have grown as well. I am finding it interesting to observe just how different these two small towns are - the way they have grown based on topography and context - both from Rome and from each other.

Since piazzas are an important element of study for our program, I tried to understand how the importance of the piazzas differ within the other cities as well. The first image below is trying to understand the boundaries of the Piazza Umberto I in Atrani, since it is such a small piazza, but is navigated so well between many purposes and users. The second image is of the main objects that stood out to me in Piazza Matteotti in Cagli. The piazza is so large and functions mainly for the use of cars, during the day. I was attempting to document how the piazza seems like it was designed to function versus how it actually does.



Much more to come!

Ciao for now.

No comments: