This past Friday our studio was able to make a visit to the Borghese Gallery, which houses a substantial part of the Borghese collection of paintings, sculptures and antiquities. While wondering through the villa, my interest in the sculptures was the most prominent amongst the various artworks. Some amazing sculptures that were included in this collection were created by Bernini. The three sculptures of his that really interested me were the Rape of Persephone (c. 1621), Apollo and Daphne (c. 1622), and David (c. 1623-1624). While observing these works of art, I decided to try and draw one of the sculptures. The one I chose to do was David. I included an overall picture of the sculpture, along with a close up of his face. As you can see, I struggled with getting the emotion on his face just right. So to the side of the sketch I tried to work on various exercises to resolve my issues. I am currently still trying to get proportions right throughout the entire sketch (especially his feet), but for my first attempt at a subject like this I was fairly pleased.
Until next time!
Macy Brannan
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



No comments:
Post a Comment