This past weekend Byron Greene, Jordan Campbell, and myself visited the city of Amsterdam. A very interesting thing about our trip compared to others is that we rented a room in a houseboat on the canals of Amsterdam. It wasn't very much more expensive than a nice hostel in that area and it was unique so we decided to go for it and rent it. Best decision of the trip. It was awesome!
While we were there, I decided to draw a perspective sketch from our bedroom window along with a floor plan of the spaces within. Ours consisted of two bedrooms with a large bathroom in the middle, along with a separate apartment for the owner. Here is that sketch:
Also since I enjoyed the houseboat so much, I decided to "design my own" houseboat. The spaces within these boats are actually more spacious than you would originally think. I guessed that an entire houseboat was about 15 feet wide and 60 feet long (about 900 square feet). If arranged right, this could house 1-3 people pretty comfortably. Here is a sketch of my original design idea that I created:
Other than the houseboats, Amsterdam is a great city. Friendly people, good food, great museums, and cool sites to see. Architecturally, the combination of contemporary buildings mixed in with older buildings, really caught my eye as an interesting aspect. The layout of the city was really unique with the many canals radiating out from the central station. I would highly recommend visiting this city at some point in your life. Here are just a couple pictures of the trip:
No comments:
Post a Comment