June 22, 2015

Hey Pacific Northwesters

To all of you following our blog, hello from Chase! Or should I say ciao? Regardless, today will be my first post of the summer. It is strange for me to think about how today marks the day that I have officially been in Rome for a month. I feel like these past few weeks have been months, yet only one has gone by. 

Every day is an exploration in this incredible city. We have gone on several tours so far, visited more churches than I am prepared to count, visited a few galleries and museums, seen a plethora of immaculate sculptures and paintings, and even had a 6 day trip to Atrani. During this trip we visited Paestum, which reminded me of several architecture history lectures by Anne Marshall, and a few of us also hiked up to Ravello one day. If you have ever seen pictures of Atrani or Amalfi, I’m pleased to inform you that it really is as beautiful as it looks.   

This trip hasn’t entirely been “all play, and no work” (see what I did there?). We are already knees deep in our studio project, which Alex B. has introduced you to, as well as continuing an analysis on two separate piazzas from our Rome Prep Seminar, and on top of that doing lots of sketching and watercoloring. For today, I think I’ll leave some of the work I have done out of this post, and save that for another time. 

But that reminds me, we are also asked to post 3 pictures of the drawing work that we do each week on Flickr. I’m not entirely positive of how this works, but I assume anyone can view our posts by searching for Idaho-Roma Sketches on Flickr. There you can watch as we continue to develop our skills and also see the wonderful work by our professor and past students! 

I’ll promise to make an interesting post every week, but some things will have to stay in Rome, my friends. Every summer, vacationers traverse the globe in search of new sights and experiences. But when it comes to scandal, I’ll take [Rome] every time. Welcome [to Rome], [Pacific Northwesters]. You’re in for a treat. You know you missed me. 

XOXO, Gossip Girl.

I mean Chase.
Okay, bye. 

No comments: