
Steve McCurry Exhibition – Perugia Galleria Nazionale dell’Umbria
During one of our independent study walkabouts in Perugia over this last weekend, I decided to stop into the Steve McCurry Exhibition in the Perugia Galleria Nazionale dell’Umbria, and I was definitely glad I did. The renowned photographer is famous for the ‘Afghan Girl’ photo with the piercing green eyes - which has, consequently, become an iconographic photo of our times. The photographs were haunting and beautiful, but the most impressive aspect of the exhibition was the gallery set up. All of the pictures were suspended by wire hanging from simple 2 x 4 frames reaching about twenty feet in height. Approximately fifty frames filled the room I was in, all angled differently. The pictures were suspended at different heights making it so haunting eyes, from stark profile photographs, followed me around the room. Very intense. The emotion provoked from such an experience was extremely overwhelming. The photographs were journalistic in nature (seeing as Steve McCurry is a noted photography for National Geographic) but utterly beautiful. The pictures conveyed such hurt, sorrow, and hope from war torn nations all around the world, and the medieval mountain town of Perugia was a very interesting setting to experience such a renowned exhibit from modern times.

No comments:
Post a Comment