July 11, 2010


My old neighbor and her friend came into town this last week and I got to experience a whole new side of things… I was the tour guide. I have been so busy I have not even realized how much I learned. I find that by teaching someone else, it teaches you even more. We walked all over the town, starting at the pantheon, up to Piazza Popolo and down to the temple of Hercules Victor. I was impressed on how much a remembered and it helped me realize how my interests were prioritized. I am fascinated with Hercules I decided, as I recited the story of the giant steeling Hercules’ livestock and of course the pantheon has always been fascinating to me. It’s funny to see the difference between my interests compared to other people’s interests. I have been in Rome doing extensive studies for the last 7 weeks, and these girls were content with a quick 3 hour tour, eager for a rest and a bite to eat. Once dinner came around there was more knowledge of mine that came out that was worth appreciating, I knew the cheap good places to eat as they told me about their meal the previous night by the Trevi Fountain and how expensive it was. It’s so unique how all of us students know the city of Rome so well, its knowledge worth cherishing for a lifetime. It’s crazy how deep this city goes, I might know enough to impress two 18 year old girls but I know hardly a fraction of what Rome has to offer. Rome requires a life time a study to even get close to knowing it… One of the first quotes Matt told us at the beginning of the program, one that couldn’t be truer is… “One life is not enough.” That saying will stick with me for the rest of my life, though it’s meant in the context of Rome, it’s applicable for life in general.

No comments: