June 05, 2008

scary churches


We have gone to a couple churches where painted on the walls are depictions of people being martyred. This sounds perfectly acceptable since it was a very important part of Christianity in the beginning, but far less appropriate when you are feeling a little sick. My stomach wasn't doing very well, so I decided to eat my granola bar right as we began to walk around and see the paintings on the inside of the church. That was a bad idea. Looking at all the beheadings, dismembered body parts, stabbings, boilings, etc., I began to feel like I might vomit. I theorize that martyring people was less about religion and more about the fact that they were sadists who just wanted to torture and kill people in the most gruesome ways. My favorite is the guy who got sawn in half from head to feet. I also enjoy how the people being dismembered are smiling - I don't think they really smiled, I don't care how devoted you are. I also wanted to add that nuns are kind of scary, and I don't want to be yelled at by one again.

No comments: