Who knew that the coffee table book that I would look at when I finished my dinner because I was not able to leave the table early when I was younger would start the love and admiration for the Pantheon. Ever since then I have been fascinated with it, the way it was created, saved, and then preserved. The night I arrived in Roma, we took a walk around the apartment; we headed down a street with buildings on either side that created a barrier. We were about 100 meters away and I saw the front columns, I second-guessed myself and just kept walking. We got closer and I could not say anything more than “Wow!” I stopped walking and just let the chills take over. I was in front of the Pantheon and could not comprehend the idea of being there, I was still and did not know how to respond.

As the group started to leave I walked, with my head up and my mouth open completely in awe of the presence of the magnificent building. I have been here for three weeks and still every time I walk by I get hit with more chills and cannot help but look up. I have tried to get my mind to wrap around the idea that I live a block away from the Pantheon and that I see it almost ten times a day just in passing, but then I think why would I ever want that? It’s the Pantheon it deserves the chills every time I pass it.
No comments:
Post a Comment