July 18, 2015

Ciao For Now Roma


This past week has been jam packed with crafting our final drawings for our studio projects for our critique we had on Tuesday. I shouldn't use the word "final" since that implies that we are finished, but instead these designs are a work in progress. This entire project has been about the process and that is what I strived to show in my presentation.

For me, it was about starting from this preconceived notion that the only way to make a city function is to grid it out, because that is what we are accustomed to in America. But in working through several iterations, I started to appreciate the urban fabric of Rome and instead shifted towards completing that fabric by further densifying certain areas. I focused on creating spaces that progress between enclosed and intimate courtyard spaces to larger open piazzas. I tried to design for specific routes that would create a procession to a certain axial relationship or to a celebrated view of landmarks within Rome. Below are a very select few of some of my studio drawings for the presentation.

We also wrapped up our final sketching classes this week. Tomorrow will be my last day in Rome, since I leave tomorrow night. I am hoping that I have crossed off all of the places I wanted to see on my check list, but of course there are several more that I have missed that I will have to visit next time. There will be a next time, I can promise you that. 

The stress of a studio final has gone, and now a simple relaxed day at the ocean before the plane takes off tomorrow and I will be on my way back home!

What did I say about letting the chips fall where they may? See you next fall.

XOXO, Gossip Girl. 

I couldn’t help myself.
Chase

Figure Ground Plan – North is Ghetto side, South is Trastevere side
(darker hatch pattern indicates what was existing, lighter pattern indicates what was added)

Axon of Ghetto Side

Elevation of the Ghetto Embankment

Section of Embankment on the Ghetto Side

Process for a Piazza on the Ghetto Side 

Analytical Drawing of Piazza Relationships

Perspective of Main Road in Ghetto

Axon of Trastevere Side

Process for a Piazza on the Trastevere Side

Process for a Piazza on the Trastevere Side

Perspective of Embankment Trastevere Side

No comments: