Even blogging gets confusing when all the directions are in Italian. anyways, good times. I'm sure a lot of people are going to write on what we have been doing the last week; like going to the beach on the only cloudy day, watching an unforgettable Sunday mass in the pantheon (yeah, that pantheon) and family dinner. I’m going to go in another direction towards the way of life. first, you can never be sure anything is going to be open. businesses here open and close whenever they want. no "back in five" sign on the door. it’s strictly hit or miss. second, if you got money back to recycle glass in this town, homeless people wouldn’t exist. its crazy, every night is a party and every morning the streets and steps by our apartments are filled with bottles and cans. but going along with this, by noon everything is back to being fairly clean. I would guess Rome has one of the best garbage collection systems in the world. also, there is no such thing as a pedestrian only zone. the walking bridge maybe, but even that’s debatable. mopeds cruise down the narrow streets weaving through people. cars pretty much rally in the same fashion, we even had somebody get hit by a mirror but i’m not going to say any names. oh, everything here is so old. if you think about it our oldest building/structure/bridge/road is maximum 400 years old. we went on a tour and our numbers were in the 700's BC. also forgot, we actually saw the head of john the Baptist. his real head. the one that was attached to his body. it is in a church we went to early in the week. also walked into a wedding at the same time, so it was kind of a two-fer. another really cool thing. you can actually drink out of any fountain you see in the city. I guess they are all powered by the aquifer or something, but its really nice. they even have small ones that can become drinking fountains, which we didn’t figure out until about day three when some kid saw us sticking our heads under them like a bathroom sink and came to the tourist rescue. on a personal note my shoes make my feet bleed (threw that one in for sympathy). we are the only ones who run a hot shower from what I hear. but in truth, its more of a hot to cold back to hot to scolding hot to freezing sometimes. but who can complain. there was supposed to be a question mark after that rhetorical question but I cant seem to find it on the keyboard. which is another thing. I cannot for the life of me get the 'at' key to work on one of our computers. granted it is a MAC, but still, I have to copy and paste it from another sight to get it to work. I had something else about the showers. oh yeah, if you haven’t heard, Tim, Todd, and Kalan's shower has their toilette in it. actually in the shower stall, behind the curtain. it seems like a good idea because it cancels out the need of a bidet. we have one, but I haven’t built up the courage to use it yet. not going to get into why. going in a different direction, I found the perfect place for my hammock (for those who don’t know, I usually have one with me) but our neighbor lady said we cant put it there. she didn’t say we couldn’t put a hammock there per say, but she said it was unsafe to put our laundry on a clothesline there so I put two and two together, which is quattro. that equation was bilingual, figured you could do the math. I know, I know bad joke. ill try to refrain from those in the future. I really want to get into a lecture we got from our landlord guy, but I've probably already bored you enough. I know the grammar is horrible so I take full responsibility, but if the spelling is wrong blame it on Microsoft word. Grazie (thank you); pronounced graht seeay, not graht Z. Didn't learn that until about day 4. Buona sera.
7 comments:
in addition, the comments and views in this blog do not represent the feelings of the Idaho Roma Program or those Affiliated with it. This cannot be reproduced without the express written consent of Cale Valentine and the Boston Red Sox.
Cale - keep em coming! Sorry but I am forwarding your blog without your permission to those who know and love you and might not otherwise hear from you. Your Sox are doing great - 12 1/2 games ahead of NY.
So glad your class has this blog. Enjoy everybody's stories and pictures.
Is it true...When in Rome????
Yay! I'm so glad you guys have a way of keeping us updated on stuff. Sounds like you're having a great time! I'm so jealous!
-Katie
It's ok Cale, you can just say that I was dumb enough to get hit by a car. Fortunately, a very slow car.
Caroline, it runs in the family-- remember when Bess and I got hit by the car and you helped the vet intubate Bess? She was SOOO impressed with you- thought you had a career in vet medicine... (if you ever think architecture isn't competitive enough, you can give pre-vet a try.)
In the meantime, practice singing the little kid's song please -
You've got to look both ways before you cross the street-
Left-----
Right----
Hey Little Brother, I hear ya on all the strange idiosyncrasies of Italia, some very similar to Espana, neh? It's so interesting how different people live and what is "normal" to some! I am so excited for you and this adventure you're having. I loved reading your thoughts, keep it up so I can continue to vicariously live through you in Europe. I LOVE YOU LONG TIME. xxooxoxoxo sista-chano
PS Remember that road trip we took in Spain? The one where I drove all night and we got to Cordoba at like 6 am and the streets were TRASHED from partying? Then...miraculously when we wandered back through the square later that morning it was spic and span? Ahh...Memories...
PPS Oh yes.. have you walked downtown and seen the Colosseum and that area at night? I almost think the city is prettier with all the lights under the stars. And it's so much quieter without the chaos of the crowds.
Cale- Great stuff. Keep the stories coming , as I am living vicariously through you as I follow the cows around all day.
Post a Comment