May 26, 2013

Sunsets and St. Peters

I have been so blessed with the opportunity to spend two summers in such a beautiful place. A week ago, I walked into Piazza Santa Maria to meet Matt before the rest of the students arrived. I saw the same vendors and people meandering the streets holding cones gelato, the same breakdancing street performer who I have a picture with from a year ago. It was a little surreal actually. It amazing how much of this place sticks with you. This week feels as if its tacked onto last summer and the 10 months in between have slipped away. (A  feeling the my rusty sketching skills are revealing as untrue, but a week in and im feeling a little more friendly toward my pencil and sketchbook.) 

The week began with walking; the 5.5 hour dis(re)-orientation tour of the city and a tour of Trastevere. Perks of being here for round 2 are that I already know where to get the good gelato and where to watch the best sunsets. I have done both, more than once. This week included lots of sketching, lots of eating, lots of pictures, and lots of trying to fix the toilet in the bathroom. Pentacost at the Pantheon and mass at Borromini's San Carlo alle Quattro Fontane were two absolutely beautiful services to endcap a fantastic first week back.


I have come into this summer with lists of things that I want to repeat from last summer, a list of things that I never accomplished last summer, and a list of new and exciting things to experience. Already a week down, with only seven more to go and I dont think I could ever take this place for granted. 

No comments: